Friday, April 13, 2007

The Real Problem

Alright, Quikstop Terp has to sadly say here that the First Amendment has been completely shit on in the past 24 hours. Don Imus has been fired since I last wrote. Not because of what he said, but because his sponsors lacked backbone to support his freedom of speech. Michael Wilbon, (if you live on Mars and you've never heard of him, he's black), one of the few good sports journalists left at ESPN said yesterday on PTI, "I was not agitating for that [Imus' being fired] even though I was upset at what he said about the Rutgers Women's Basketball players. In some ways, it might seem to easy. I like that fact that Imus has Freedom of Speech and so do others that want to come back at him and he needed to be subjected to that ridicule and that criticism every single day." Michael Wilbon, Quikstop Terp officially has a man crush on you. Sorry. Deal with it. Like his reporting on the Maryland Terrapins, Wilbon has hit the nail right on the head with this one. The Freedom of Speech implies that sure, you can say as you wish, but you had best be prepared to take a verball ass-kicking from those who disagree. But I'm beating the metaphorical dead baby seal here so I will move on. Let me end the who Imus thing here: Don Imus was, is and always will be the epitome of an ASSHOLE (or GIANT DOUCHE if you prefer). I have never liked the man or his radio show. The very sight of him creeps me out. I still say "F*ck Don Imus!" but I refuse to ejaculate all over the 1st Amendment.

A little food for thought here: Al Sharpton and many black "spokespersons" (how can one speak for an entire race of people?) hooted and hollered for Don Imus' firing, and they got what they wanted. Quikstop Terp has no problem with that, it seems pretty democratic. Next time they hoot and holler, hoot and holler about these upcoming numbers. These numbers are from the 2000 Census, so I can only cynically infer that things has gotten worse. 47% of all black families in America are single parent familes 9.2% of black men are unemployed, compared to only 3.8% of white men. 26% of all blacks in America (the most prosperous nation on Earth, behind England) live in poverty; 36.7% of blacks youths live in poverty and 26% of the black community of retired age. Only 8% of whites are living in poverty. This is the real racism and segregation in this country. The type that puts kids to bed hungry every night with no father. As Mos Def said, "Numbers is hard and real and they never have feelings, but you push too hard and even numbers got limits...It's all mathematics."It saddens me greatly, gives me a heavy heart, that Al Sharpton who said, "I am of Dr. King's tradition" cares so much about what Don Imus said about 10 black college students and so little about the daily struggle of hundreds of thousands of blacks. F*ck you Al Sharpton and F*ck you Don Imus.

1 comment:

JRG said...

Interesting read Tim O... I don't think that the 1st Amendment was ignored or forgotten in this situation. Don Imus will not be prosecuted for his words. He did not committ a crime for what he said over air. With that said, listeners have a right to be outraged. The media has a right to make this an issue. Advertisers have a right to pull out and get him fired (since we all know his firing was about $$$).

Regarding your disturbing stats about Blacks in prison, I have my own theories as to why this situation exists. I tend to talk alot, so if you wanna know what I think, IM me. This article should get you started:

http://www.ussc.gov/crack/CHAP1.HTM